Office of the Mayor: The Executive and Administrative power of the City shall be vested in the Mayor. The Mayor shall have control of and be accountable for the Executive branch of the City Government. (Sec. 5:01) The Mayor shall be a qualified voter of the City of Wilkes-Barre and be required to devote full time and attention to the performance of the functions of the office. (Sec. 5:02)
The Mayor shall have the following powers and duties:
- Execute, enforce and obey the ordinances of the City and the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Inform Council and the public at least once each year on the financial and general conditions and requirements of the City.
- Provide Council with such information concerning finances and general conditions of the City as requested by Council.
- Submit proposed legislation to Council.
- Perform such other duties and exercise such other powers as stated in this Charter by law or ordinance.
- Organize and supervise all City officers and employees except as otherwise provided by this Charter.
- Unless otherwise provided, be responsible for the employment of personnel necessary for the effective operation of the City government. (Sec. 5:07)