The City of Wilkes-Barre operates a curbside recycling program for residents within the City limits.
Recycling various items reduces the amount of waste going into landfills, decreases disposal costs, saves natural resources, and lessens pollution risks.
Items Required to Be Recycled:
Please follow the rules below to help eliminate garbage going into the recycling stream.
- Recycling will not be collected if it is in plastic bags.
- Recyclables must be clean and visible to DPW crews.
- Do not overload recycling bins.
- Recyclables will be collected from:
- City-Issued Recycling Bins (There are currently no additional bins available at this time)
- Recycling Bins Purchased by Residents
- Open paper bags with newspapers inside will be accepted.
- Oversize cardboard boxes with compacted cardboard inside will be accepted.
- Compact cardboard and dispose of cardboard and paper in the recycling bins as best as possible, especially when there is rain or snow.
Single Stream Recycling
The City also encourages residents to recycle the Single Stream Recycling items listed below:
For more information on Single Stream Recycling, please visit Northeast Recycling Solutions.
Single Stream Recycling Collection Schedule
All recycling is to be placed at the curb at 7:00 AM on your scheduled day.
|Monday||Downtown, South Wilkes-Barre 1|
|Tuesday||North End, Heights, Brookside|
|Wednesday||Mayflower, Rolling Mill Hill, Iron Triangle, Goose Island|
|Thursday||South Wilkes-Barre 2|
|Friday||East End, Parsons, Miners Mills|
If you are unsure of your collection day, please use the collection schedule map to determine it.
Holiday Collection Info
City observed holidays will modify the collection schedule. Please refer to the city calendar for holiday pickup information.
Yard Waste is collected curbside at no additional cost to residents. Each year, yard waste collection begins in late April and ends in late November/early December.
Please visit the Yard Waste recycling collection page for a list of accepted items.
Recycling leaves and yard waste takes these materials out of the waste stream, and recycles them into beneficial products such as compost or mulch that can return nutrients to the soil or be used in residential landscaping projects.
Recycling Drop Off Site
In an effort to increase and promote more recycling in the City of Wilkes-Barre, recycling drop off dumpsters are located at:
Department of Public Works Garage
3 Conyngham Avenue
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711.
The drop off hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM