Mayor Tony George invites residents and visitors to the 2019 Christmas Parade and Tree Lighting Ceremony, which will take place on this Saturday, November 23rd. Participants will line up at 2PM. The parade will begin at 3PM. The parade will consist of 6 divisions, with over 80 groups, businesses, and organizations and over 1,500 participants.
Please be advised of road closures before, during, and after the parade.
Motorists are advised that South Main Street from Public Square to Dana Street will be closed from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM. The following roads will also be closed during this timeframe:
- South Main Street from Public Square to Dana Street
- Sullivan Street at Main Street
- Academy Street between Franklin and South Main
- Hazle Street between South Main and Pennsylvania Blvd
- Ross Street between S. Franklin and Pennsylvania Blvd
- South Street, from South Franklin to South Washington Street
- Northampton Street, from South Franklin to South Washington Street
- Market Street, from South Franklin to South Washington Street
- Public Square, between Market and Main Streets
- North Main Street from Public Square to Union Street
Meters will be bagged and “No Parking” notices will be posted along the parade route. Vehicles will be ticketed and towed beginning at 1:00 PM on Saturday, November 23rd. Participants and spectators are advised to use public parking facilities throughout the city and avoid unauthorized parking in private lots. No unauthorized parking in the Volunteers of America/Save-A-Lot/Family Dollar lot at Hazle and South Main. Vehicles will be towed from private parking lots.
Parade Time and Route:
The parade will start at 3:00 PM at South Main Street and South Street. Parade will travel north along South Main Street, around Public Square, passing the F.M. Kirby Center and then the reviewing stand, and finally ending at the intersection of North Main Street and Union Street. For the safety of everyone enjoying the parade, please stay on the sidewalk and/or behind fencing along the parade route.
Live Parade Broadcast:
Service Electric Cable TV and Communications and WYLN TV 35 have partnered to broadcast live television coverage of the City of Wilkes-Barre Christmas Parade. The pre-parade show begins at 3:00 PM with parade to follow. The City of Wilkes-Barre Christmas Parade can be seen on Service Electric Cable TV and Communications Wilkes-Barre Channel 7, in addition to all of WYLN TV 35’s viewing area. For more details, please visit www.wylntv.com.
The annual parade kicks off the holiday season with free family friendly events:
- 11:30 AM: " Frosty the Snowman" themed activities: snowman ornament craft, story time and photo-ops at Barnes & Noble Wilkes-Kings
- 2:00 PM: Christmas Carol Sing-A-Long with Ms. Ruthy Stock on Public Square
- 3:00 PM: Christmas Parade Begins
Tree Lighting Ceremony Immediately following the Parade:
- The 2019 Christmas tree was donated by Gene Lazarus of Hudson Gardens in Plains, PA. Mayor Tony George’s granddaughter Emily will light the tree.
- The Wilkes-Barre Mohegan Sun Acapella Choir will perform during the tree lighting ceremony.
- The Salvation Army and the Wilkes-Barre Lions Club will provide complimentary Hot Chocolate.
- Don’t forget to patronize all your favorite downtown Wilkes-Barre businesses!
The City of Wilkes-Barre thanks the sponsors of the 2019 Christmas Parade:
Platinum Sponsors: BHW Construction Consultation Services, Inc., Franchelli Enterprises and Petroleum Service Company, and Stell Enterprises
Gold Sponsors: Humford Equities and Realty, PennEastern Engineers, PNC, and Service Electric Cable TV and Communications,
Silver Sponsors: Boscov's, LT Verrastro Inc, Luzerne Optical Laboratories, Mohegan Sun Pocono, Northeast Cartage & Recycling Solutions, Rodano's, and Visit Luzerne County
Live Parade Broadcast by WYLN News and Service Electric Cable TV and Communications
Parade fencing is provided by Mountain Productions.